Move over Wheaties. There is a new breakfast of champions in town…
I will never forget the time I was in New York with some friends and everybody ordered avocado toast at brunch post our wild night. Under pressure, I said “I’ll take the avocado toast please.” My friends continued conversation around the table recapping the best moments of last night. My thoughts were all regretful that I didn’t order the most carb loaded thing on the menu to cure my headache and tingle my tastebuds with gooey sweetness. I couldn’t help but think that there is nothing that can out beat the Eggs Benedict or French Toast.
I could not fathom the thought that I just ordered a $16 avocado toast. I mean what does this do? Give me energy and clear my skin?
In fact, it does. That is one of the wondrous benefits of avocado. Although it can be eaten all times of the day, its deemed the breakfast of champions. Breakfast is the most important meal because it sets a tone for the rest of the day. But even knowing that, I still want breakfast to be simple and easy. This simple 5 ingredient avocado toast is all I need and the benefits of the nutrition are really showing a difference.
Check out the recipe below.
1 slice of bread of your choice (Udi’s is my favorite)
1 small avocado
2 grape tomatoes (red or yellow)
Trader Joe’s “Everything But The Bagel” Seasoning
1. Bring a small sauce pot of water to a simmer. Gently place the eggs with a spoon, still in their shell, into the water. Set a timer and cook for 6 minutes exactly. This will yield a runny yolk but a set white.
2. While the eggs are cooking, slice the avocado and mash it with a fork to create a smoother spread.
3. Slice the grape tomatoes in halves
4. Remove the cooked eggs from the water and place in an cool bath, this makes it easier to peel.
5. To assemble, place the avocado spread on the toast followed by the everything seasoning then finished off with the soft-boiled peeled egg. Sprinkle with a little more everything seasoning. Add tomatoes evenly. Serve immediately.